If you were to have told me in my early 30′s that someday I would be a mom, I would have laughed out loud, said yeah right, and dismissed the thought entirely. Well….After a fairly easy pregnancy, a very difficult laboring process, and now having a beautiful 5 month old boy at the age of 36, I still laugh out when I think to myself…holy crap…I’m a mom. Friends call me mama, there was a mothers day in there somewhere and yet at times it seems like it hasn’t sunk in. I’m a mom. I’m responsible for the life, health, growth, and happiness of someone so tiny still. I’m making him grow!
This will be an ongoing list of reasons I love being a mom. People always say, remember these times, they go by so fast. This will be my way of recording it, remembering how awesome it is to have him in my life. Maybe one day Jack will see it and know how happy he made his mama.
- I have never smiled or laughed more because of someone in my life. I love laughing with him, making him laugh
- I see him learn and explore new things everyday and it amazes me. Today he found joy in trying to catch the water coming out of the bathtub. We both laughed so much
- I love the way he stares at me when he falls asleep for the night. Whether we are laying on the bed or he’s in his chair, I love knowing I’m the last thing he sees at night. I don’t care if that’s vain or not. Watching those heavy eyelids melts my heart
- I love waking up with him in the morning. I hear his little coos between 6:00-6:15. Those coos turn into him being a chatterbox. I lean over and say good morning jack! And I get the biggest smile. I love love love starting my day this way. Seeing a happy baby and welcoming him to a new day
- Getting to see how he interacts with others amazes me. He’s always so alert. You can tell he’s just absorbing everything in, being so serious at times.
- Sharing bath time / bed time with him. I love having a routine with him, giving him a little baby massage when bath time is over with. I can feel his body become calm.
- I get to sneak him kisses when he is sleeping and whisper how much I love him without it being weird as I know there will come a time when I will probably get a “mooooom….ew”
- Anytime I get the chance to snuggle him
- Baby kisses…the slobber is totally worth it
- I love the way we look at each other in the mirror
- How he lays his little baby head on my shoulder when he’s tired
- His little after bath sweats and how it beads up on his nose
- I love making noises with him
- His sweet breath
I know I have another dozen things to list here but I’m tearing up thinking about it. He’s sleeping next to me in his co-sleeper right now and even after the most frustrating and messy days that we might have with each other, I still miss him when he is sleeping.